What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing, internet marketing or online marketing people called it with many phrases but approach and working are the same. Digital Marketing is the new era of marketing with you can reach to more people within a short time. As the number of internet users is getting double in a few years, targeting people online is very easy and helpful.
Digital Marketing is just like other types of marketing where you can reach to influencers and potential customers. Only the difference is you connect with people online. Online efforts to reach the audience can be done in various forms like pay per click advertising, search engine optimization, social media marketing, email marketing and even blogging as well. These are great examples of digital marketing. We will discuss all modules in details in the article.
Digital Marketing Assets
Anything that accesses with the internet can be a digital marketing asset. Assets can be your online presence that can attract the audience for your services. Few examples are:
- Your Website
- Images (infographics, product images, company services)
- Video Content (informative videos, learning videos, product shots )
- Online Content (Blog Posts, eBooks, Wikipedia pages, product description, services)
- Online Purchasing platforms
- Social Media pages and profiles (Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, Pinterest)
Effective use of digital marketing assets with digital marketing strategies can lead any business to the top level.
Digital Marketing Strategies and Modules
- Search Engine Optimization:
The website has a big role in any business, it is an online presence and trust factor for your customers and platform to highlight your products for the audience. Making a website is not enough to gain traffic to your website. If you are not showing in SERP (cover in digital marketing terms) then your website has no use for your business. You can use SEO to rank your product pages, keywords and blog post to attract traffic organically. You don’t need to pay for the clicks but it takes a long time to rank the website with SEO strategies.
Search engine optimization is the process of making your website Google Algorithm friendly and it takes a longer time than other digital marketing strategies. Search engine optimization is helpful to attract quality and potential traffic with ranking for specific keywords. Making site SEO friendly, adding quality content to the website, on-site changes and quality link building are the main search engine optimization strategies.
Google algorithm changes frequently and you must keep an eye on it to achieve a good result with the search engine optimization.
- Search Engine Marketing:
SEM, Pay-per-Click or Search Engine Marketing is one of the effective ways to grow business in the competitive market. Thousands of businesses opted for Search Engine Marketing to get leads for the services and products. Search Engine Marketing is the paid advertisement where PPC results appear at the top of the SERP.
Advertisers bid on particular keywords, depending on the cost per click and competition of the keyword and bid amount set by the advertiser and it can display in the SERP. The amount will be deducted from advertisers ad accounts on the click basis. When the user clicks on the advertisement, the amount will be deducted. SEM gives a quick result as compared to SEO. whereas the amount of spending and reach depends on the keywords CPC and Competition.
Usually, PPC ads are shown at the top and bottom of the page, mostly on the first two, three positions. We can easily identify the PPC ads as the word “Ad” is prefixed before the URL.
- Social Media Marketing:
Research says that 22% of the world population are Facebook users. This can give you an idea of how big this social media platform is. Targeting these social media users is one of the biggest factors for businesses. The forecast also says that investment in Social media marketing may grow from 32 billion U.S. dollars in 2017 to approximately 48 billion U.S. dollars in 2021. Targeting social media users from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Linkedin can be the biggest part of digital marketing in the coming years.
Social Media marketing usually involves creating quality content and showing it to your specified audience. With Paid advertising option you can set the location, gender, age criteria for the advertising. Social media marketing includes activities like posting graphics of services and products, posting useful articles that can engage the audience.
Organic social media marketing and paid social media marketing are two options that can be used for promotion of social media.
Here are the steps for social media promotion:
- Create content that engages the user.
- Create Graphics for the post (for paid Facebook ads, content on the image is not more than 19%)
- Make an Ad copy.
- Set the Audience, location and age group
- Set the budget
- Publish Ad
This is the basic process for any social media paid promotion where it can be varied according to the social media platform you are using. Here I have attached one Facebook Ad for the example.
Facebook is one of the most used platforms for paid social media advertisement where you offer a call to action options such as signup, learn more, visit the website, call now, message etc. Other popular paid social media advertising options are Twitter for text and image ads, LinkedIn for B2B marketing, Instagram for B2C marketing and Pinterest for Image paid promotion.
If you are not aware of the social media advertisement then you can also take the reference of other ads or perform competitors analysis for better results.
Here are a few questions to be prepared before going for a paid advertisement:
- The objective of paid promotion?
- What do you want to achieve?
- What is your targeted audience?
- What message do you want to give to your audience?
- Expected reach and budget?
Social media has a wide scope of Digital marketing. Preparing with the above questions makes it easier to achieve a good result with the paid social media advertisement whether it is on Facebook or any other platform.
- Email Marketing:
Email marketing is a very helpful digital marketing tool as it is a direct and effective way to communicate with the leads and convert them into the customers. It can also be useful to offer your products and services directly to your leads. Compared to social media marketing, it has a limited audience as you can only reach your existing leads or database.
Email marketing is the process of sending emails to your audience and subscribers and it is a highly effective digital marketing strategy. It is also useful to keep updating or inform your previous buyers with the latest products and services.
Importance of Email Marketing:
- Despite the rise of Social media marketing and search engine marketing, email marketing is still a highly prefered and popular way to nurture the leads with the latest updates.
- Professionals check the email on a daily basis so that email marketing can be an effective way to reach.
- Promotion on social media and search engine marketing has followed the rules, violation of the rules may give the penalty but here you have your own email list to nurture.
- Email marketing has a Return on Investment of 440%. That’s really huge.
For a large number of leads to follow up, email marketing tools are available in the market which has inbuilt features of email automation, setting up a campaign, sending newsletters to subscribers. Here are a few Email Marketing Service tools:
These are the popular email marketing services provider tools. All these tools are paid tools and Mailchimp is the most prefered and popular tool for the beginners and small firms as it offers a free plan for up to 2000 subscribers. But if you want to use the Autoresponder then you have to switch to a paid plan.
How to Improve Emails open rates
- A most common problem is email goes to the subscriber’s spam folder. With few point consideration, you can prevent the emails going to spam folders. Such as sending campaigns from good IP addresses, using verified domains, keeping your template clean and informative, Use of merge tags for personalizing “To:” fields, avoiding excessive use of words like buy, discount, clearance etc, including your location.
- Keep your subscriber’s list fresh by removing inactive subscribers.
- Think carefully of the timing of sending a campaign to the subscribers, do some research of highly email opening timing.
- Make your subject line stand out and catchy.
- Make sure email writing is personalised to one person, not for a group of persons.
- Write amazing and interesting content, do not make it as advertised.
- Optimize your email campaign for Mobile as 67% of emails open from mobile.
- Automate your email campaign to the specific day and time of the week and make sure autoresponder is set for the campaign.
Many multinational organizations like Amazon, Flipkart, eBay and the list continue to use the email marketing strategy to reach the existing customers and leads.
- Content Marketing
Content marketing id backbone of Digital marketing and huge scope of digital marketing. Instead of promoting your products and services, you can reach the customers by solving their issue and providing useful information.
Term Blogging is one of the effective ways of content marketing and businesses can reach the people from the blogging platform whether it is the product description, services offered by writing articles on it.
Majority of marketers make content marketing a major part of the digital marketing strategy. Content marketing is present and the future of digital marketing.
Marketing is impossible without Content Marketing
Whether it is traditional or digital marketing, Content is a big part of the marketing strategy. Quality content is the foundation of digital marketing.
- Social media marketing: Content is the prime key in terms of making the Ad copy for advertisement.
- SEO: Search engine rewards and promote consistent and quality content.
- PPC: Writing a catchy and strong converting description of ad copy can increase the click-through rate.
- Inbound marketing: Content is key to drive traffic and leads to the business.
Content is king and unique and informative content can make any campaign successful and drive more traffic and sales.
- Marketing Automation:
As the term refers, Marketing automation is managing the marketing campaign automatically. With the help of marketing automation businesses can target the customers with automated responses across social platforms, email and through the web. Tools are helpful in automating online marketing campaigns. It also helps in lead generation, nurturing the leads and increasing the ROI.
Marketing automation implements digital marketing strategies without pressing the send button on emails, campaigns and on the blog posts. Automation tools can identify the audience, design the right content and schedule the campaigns.
Here are the best practices of marketing automation:
- Define your goals and use a real number to justify your investment.
- Marketing automation strategy involves the other teams as well. Collaborate with the other teams and get their inputs.
- Make a detailed workflow diagram of your marketing automation workflow to implement automation efficiently and effectively.
- Identify your audience, collect customer data and think who will engage.
Automation makes it easier to perform every marketing task. From sending emails, scheduling posts to managing complex marketing campaigns. Like:
- Sending and scheduling emails, managing subscribers, creating campaigns from a single interface.
- Identify the best campaign using the A/B test of the email campaign.
- Check Click-through-rate, define goals and conversion.
- Expand the customer views beyond the CRM into web analytics and e-commerce data.
Every digital marketing module is getting automated with the automation tool, Like Hubspot, SendinBlue, Mailchimp for email marketing. Hootsuite, Buffer for social media marketing automation.
- Influencer Marketing:
An Influencer marketing is a way of reaching people and driving your brand message to a large number of communities of social networks. Influencer marketing work with the both social media marketing and content marketing modules of digital marketing. Many firms or brands approach the individuals to promote the brand from their personal channel. The more your followers base, the more you will pay by the brands.
Research says that 67% of brands engage in influencer marketing to promote their brand. Especially social media influencers gain more exposure in influencer marketing. Brands who do not involve influencer marketing in their marketing plan will lose grip on the market.
Here are a few reasons why influencer marketing is important?
- Engaging a large number of audience.
- Attract new customers.
- Increasing repeat purchases
- Driving customer loyalty
- Maximizing customer lifetime revenue
Influencer marketing is not limited to the approaching celebrities to promote brand from their social media platforms, you can make influencer marketing with
- Host Giveaways
- Social Media Takeover
- Affiliate Marketing
- Sponsored Social Media Content
- Sponsored Blog Posts
- Guest Blogging
- Host Giveaways:
Giveaway campaign is most popular among all influencer marketing we see on social media because of simplicity. Host Giveaways give guaranteed growth in form of social actions like, share, comment also high creativity of influencer content increase the brand awareness among the social media users.
Giveaways campaigns are simple to execute, influencers ask the audience for post likes, comments and answer the questions.
- Social Media Takeover:
A Social media takeover used to increase brand exposure and offer engaging and interesting content to the audience. The Social media takeover allows users to navigate through brand promotion on social media.
Brands take up this strategy to promote the events with help of influencers asking for question and answer sections, sharing photos and tagging people.
- Affiliate Marketing:
Affiliate marketing is promoting products to the users and gain revenue when people register or get paid for the product. When sales are made the affiliate partner will get paid or rewarded as per rules or agreement. This method is beneficial for both the affiliate marketer as they get paid on sales and for brands as their sales is getting increased. This is the great method of influencing the market as it encourages the influencer to actively support the brand.
- Sponsored Social Media Content:
If you have excellent engaging content ready to send out then you must go with the sponsored social media content. Partnering with an influencer who can engage the audience with the evergreen content on social media is a great deal.
Here influencers need to create the content and promote the brand on social media channels.
- Sponsored Blog Posts:
Blogs is the most valuable and trusted source of online information. That’s the reason brands reach to the influencer bloggers to share and promote content for the audience. Here you can pay bloggers to write the post about your brand on the blog. Post dedicated to the brand talks only about the product and services. Other types of sponsored blog posts asked bloggers to mention the brand products and services.
- Guest Blogging:
Guest blogging is a very effective way of promoting brands by collaborating with bloggers. This process is simple and quite time consuming where you have to find some influencer in your niche who is accepting the guest blog post. Guest blogging increases exposure and increases brand awareness.
What is the Scope of Digital Marketing?
Recognising the importance of digital marketing, brands focus on digital marketing and engage with the different digital marketing strategies. Apart from the digital marketing use for business, scope of digital marketing for promoting and branding the business is a huge and fastest-growing mode of marketing.
Let’s discuss the scope of digital marketing:
Digital Marketing Scope in India and Abroad
If we look at the statistics, the Digital marketing industry is booking worldwide. By the end of year 2020, India will produce more than 20 lacs jobs in the digital marketing industry.
Few highlights about digital marketing in India:
- Growth of India’s Digital marketing is predicted to be increased by 33.5%.
- Digital marketing value in India will exceed INR 225 billion marks by 2020.
- India will produce 20 lacs jobs in digital marketing by the end of 2020.
- Digital Advertising is growing by 14% annually.
- More than 220 millions users accessing services digitally with their smartphones.
- Smartphone users in India will likely grow up to 830 million by 2021.
- Number of smartphone users in India grew at a pace of 38%.
These stats clears the future and scope of digital marketing in India in the upcoming years.
What are the Advantages of choosing Digital Marketing as a Career?
- Massive Job Opportunity:
Nowadays every business whether it is small, medium or large depends on the digital marketing services to expand their business. This increases the demand of digital marketing professionals. Wide scope of work and increasing demand for digital marketing create the huge demand of professionals.
- Flexibility in Work:
Digital marketing shares a very open culture working. Online work efficiency makes professionals easier to work from anywhere and anytime. Automation in digital marketing also makes work easier and flexible. With skills and highly useful tools working in digital marketing is getting more easier and flexible.
- High Paid Job Profiles:
Digital Marketing field in one of the highly paid fields. Job profiles getting paid high depending on the skills. According to Google, the average salary of a senior digital marketing manager is $95,000, in India is it Rs.4,40,000. Also the average rate of hike and growth in digital marketing is also 30%.
Certification offers the job profile more easily and many professionals prefer certification to get the new job. It is recommended and ideal to be certified as a digital marketer and adopt digital marketing tools and modules.
Job Profiles offers in Digital Marketing
Digital marketing offers a lot of specialized profiles to work on and make a huge profit. Here are few job profiles offers in Digital Marketing:
- Digital Marketing Executive
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Associate Digital Marketing Executive
- SEO executive
- SEO Analyst
- Google Adword Specialist
- Online Lead Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Campaign Manager
- Content Writer
- Social Media Specialist
Scope of Digital Marketing for Individuals (Be your Own Boss)
- Become a Blogger
Blogging is one of the best platforms to earn money but it takes time investment. It is not a quick way of earning. Blogging needs patience and Continuous work. Many people start it in excitement and after a couple of months, once the excitement is gone, they quit.
Long term and continued work pay high rewards to the bloggers. In terms of money, bloggers can earn up to 3,4 lacs per month if they work with dedication. Here is list of few bloggers who earn high amount of money:
Blogging open the number of sources to earn money. Such as advertising banners, affiliate sales, paid guest posting, promotions of brand and event, Google AdSense (biggest source of earning). The important factor for successful blogging is regular post, quality content, SEO focused content, traffic to the site. The more traffic to your site, the more you earn from blogging.
- Vloggers (Youtube)
Vlogs (majorly youtube channel) is also the most popular way of earning. Youtube is the biggest platform for earning through advertisements. But Youtube also set the criteria for showing advertisements on your channel. You must complete 1000 subscribers and 4,000 hours within the 12 month period.
Here is how Youtube pays to vloggers:
- Google pays 68% of its ad revenue. If an advertiser pays 100$ then Youtube pays $68 to the ad publisher.
- The average cost per view is between $0.10 to $0.30.
- On Average, a Youtube channel may earn $18 per 1000 views.
Here are top 10 Youtube earners from the World:
- Daniel Middleton (YouTube Channel: DanTDM) Subscribers: 21 million Earning: $16.5 million
- Evan Fong (YouTube Channel: Vanoss Gaming) Subscribers: 24 million Earning: $15.5 million
- Dude Perfect Subscribers: 43 million Earning: $14 million
- Mark Edward Fischbach (YouTube Channel: Markiplier) Subscribers: 24 million Earning: $15.5 million
- Logan Paul Subscribers: 19 million Earning: $12.5 million
- Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg (YouTube Channel: PewDiePie) Subscribers: 102 million Earning: $12.5 million
- Jake Paul Subscribers: 19 million Earning: $11.5 million
- Ryan ToysReview Subscribers: 19 million Earning: $11 million
- Smosh Subscribers: 24 million Earning: $11 million
- Lilly Singh (YouTube Channel: IISuperwomanII) Subscribers: 14 million Earning: $10.5 million
- Working as Freelancer:
Freelancing is going to be a more popular way of earning now. Users work remotely for clients from home and get paid for the work done. Working in freelancing needs detailed knowledge of services being served.
Here are few popular Freelancing platforms:
People can work as a freelancer for the profile of SEO consultant, social media manager, PPC campaign manager, content writer.
- Drop Shipping Business:
Dropshipping is the concept of selling products online to customers without maintaining inventory and physical stores. You need to develop a small e-commerce website in the Shopify to start with this business. Here the manufacturer directly sends the product to the customer and you will get profit on per selling.
Digital marketing creates lots of opportunities for the businesses to increase their revenue and become a strong source of earning for the skill peoples whether in terms of Job, freelancing or blogger. This is a vast field and has a large number of income sources for the people.
Articles, You may Like